Motor Learning Assignment Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

PDFE #7

Lab 6.2

Instructions and Worksheet
For this lab, you will work individually. Your instructor might want you to share ideas
with other students as you proceed through the lab, but you should answer each part
based on your own thoughts and experiences.
Based on your own experiences, rank yourself from 1 to 5 for each of the following
abilities listed (1 indicates low ability; 5 indicates high ability). For definitions and
examples, refer to figures 6.3 and 6.4 in your textbook. Circle the number that
corresponds to your ranking for each ability in the list.

Personal ability inventory
Low Med High
Multilimb coordination 4
Control precision 4
Response orientation 3
Reaction time 3
Rate control 3
Manual dexterity 4
Finger dexterity 5
Arm–hand steadiness 3
Wrist–finger speed 4
Aiming 3
Explosive strength 3
Static strength 4
Dynamic strength 3
Trunk strength 3
Extent flexibility 4
Dynamic flexibility 4
Gross body equilibrium 4
Balance with visual cues 4
Speed of limb movement 4
Gross body coordination 4
Stamina 3
Movement rate 5
Motor timing 4
Perceptual timing 3
Force control 4

Lab 6.2 Name:
After you have ranked your own abilities, list up to five skills that you think you can
perform at a fairly high level of proficiency (see chapter 1 for proficiency perspective of
skill). These skills can be related to sports or recreational activities (e.g., a free throw or
juggling), to work-related activities (e.g., data entry or opening a bottle of wine), or even
to everyday activities (e.g., flipping a frying egg without breaking the yolk).
List five skills that you can perform with a relatively high level of proficiency:
1. Massaging
2. Typing on a keyboard
3. Free Throws
4. Driving a car
5. Passing a soccer ball

Ideal Ability Profile
Ideal Ability Profile for shooting a free throw
1. Manual dexterity
2. Finger dexterity
3. arm-hand steadiness
4. Aiming
5. Perceptual timing
6. Control Precision

Lab 6.2 Discussion
To create an ideal ability profile I chose shooting a free throw. A person who has a non ideal ability profile for example someone who has trouble with control precision could practice shooting free throws. If they are good at aiming the ball and a good stamina then they can make the basket. They may have trouble in certain abilities for shooting a basketball but if they practice and apply their basic abilities that they are good at then they can succeed at making the basket. When looking at the abilities list I can see that I do not rank very high on many of the abilities but I am in the medium to high range on almost all of the abilities, therefore allowing me to have a good basis for all the abilities. If I practiced more on the abilities I feel like I could rank higher. To shoot a free throw a person needs to be able to aim, manipulate the ball, and have arm-hand steadiness and many more abilities. I am in the medium to high range for those abilities and can make a free throw.

No comments:

Post a Comment