The activity I chose to observe was the Berry College Men’s Soccer Game. It lasted a little over two hours on Friday, September 03, 2010, starting at 5:00PM. The Men’s Soccer team hosted Young Harris’s Men’s Soccer team at the Berry College soccer fields. Many people attended the game and twenty-two people play on the field at a time. I chose this activity, because I am very interested in soccer and I also went to support my friends who played.
Playing soccer is fairly safe, but can get a little dangerous. With any sport the higher the level the team is the higher risk there is of someone getting injured due to the intensity and aggression on the field. For example, there is a high risk of head on collision if two people were going for a header then there is a high risk of colliding into one another. The participants can also get kicked if someone is going for the ball, but misses the ball they could accidentally kick an opposing player. Many participants in this particular game were kicked and the goalie on the opposing team went to dive for the ball and hit his head on the post of the goal. Soccer can be safe but there is a lot of physical contact, especially with the intensity and the aggression of the players at a higher level.
In the game, the participants were definitely enhancing their movement skills. The older players that have been playing college ball for a couple years were more experienced against the competition and had many movement skills, whereas the freshman or players that haven’t had the experience playing on the collegiate level had good movement skills, but were learning how to use them properly against the competition. Coach Vardy would also coach them throughout the game and teach them how to play the way they need to play.
The participants were very engaged in the game. They had no choice but to be; because they were playing to win (We won 2-0). If the players were not engaged in the game, they would lose very badly. The players on the field were always moving either to defend their goal or to attack the opposing goal. Even the players not playing at the moment were moving to cheer on their teammates.
The activities were developmentally appropriate for the participants. All the participants have been playing soccer all their life or at least for many years. If they did not have the skill to play at the collegiate level then they would not be able to be a part of the team. Everyone on the field was able to adequately participate.
I would not have changed anything about the activity, besides if my goalie had hit his head as hard as the goalie did that was in the game, I would have taken him out of the game to make sure he did not have a concussion; it was dangerous for his health to let him still play. Other than that incident I would not have changed the participation of the activity and how it was led.
I feel like the participants enjoyed the activity, especially the Berry College Men’s team, because they beat Young Harris two-nil. It was an intense competition and could have potentially been a close game. I felt like the participants on both teams played to the best of their ability and that they enjoyed each other’s competition.
No comments:
Post a Comment